Ear Problems: Foreign Body in the Ear
Foreign Bodies in the Ear
Foreign bodies such as small objects that commonly get stuck in children’s ears include inanimate things (toys, earrings), vegetable materials or Objects stuck in the ear may cause symptoms such as:
- Ear pain
- Ringing noise in the ears
- Extreme discomfort (especially in the case of a live insect)
- Ear infection (if left inside for too long, especially for organic material)
What should You Do if Foreign Bodies are Stuck in the Ear?
- DO NOT try to remove the object without supervision. Such inexpert attempts may push the object further into the ear, causing bleeding or perforation of the ear-drum and swelling of the ear canal.
- Instead, bring your child to the doctor. Good visualization and illumination with proper equipment is necessary before any procedure can be done in the ear canal to remove the foreign body.