She spoke in detail about how to care for your newborn for the first hundred days. Here are the key points from Dr Wendy’s talk for couples who missed her session:
Dr Wendy warned parents that newborns can lose up to 10% of their birth weight in 1st week. She reassured them that this is normal and not a cause for concern as babies would usually regain their birth weight by Day 10. Parents just need to ensure their baby is getting adequate feeds.
Oral ThrushA common newborn issue parents might encounter is oral thrush. It is a fungal infection and occurs because newborns have a weaker immune system. It forms white patches that do not wipe off.
Sleep TipsWhile the first few months with your baby might be hard in the sleep department, there are some things you can do to ensure you and your baby get the right amount of sleep. This is what Dr Wendy recommends:
- Establish a consistent day time schedule and sleep schedule.
- It is good to have a bedtime routine.
- You should put your baby to sleep when they are drowsy but not fully asleep.
- You should avoid using electronic gadgets before bedtime.
- You should try and encourage your baby to fall asleep independently.