COVID-19 – What is it?
COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus, also known as 2019-nCoV. It originated in Wuhan, China, back in December 2019 at a seafood wet market that is known for trading live animals. It is currently the common consensus that the virus was contracted from the handling of meat or various wild animals sold in the market.
While COVID-19 has not been seen in humans before, it has been confirmed that it can be transmitted from human to human. Therefore, in this article, Dr Wendy from Kids Clinic @ Mt Alvernia will be sharing some protection measures you should take to protect your little ones from this virus.
Symptoms of COVID-19
Protecting Your Little Ones Against the Virus
1. Avoid crowded and enclosed spaces, including indoor playgrounds, cinemas and shopping malls as much as possible.
2. Ensure your child practises good hand hygiene at all times, as the virus is known to spread via contact with the face, nose, eyes and mouth.
3. Avoid any unnecessary overseas travel .
4. Avoid large gatherings, such as at restaurants.
5. Avoid contact with family or friends if they recently travelled to China, for at least 14 days. Children have a weaker immune system so they are more susceptible to falling ill.
Unfortunately, it is still unclear how to completely prevent the virus from spreading but you should not be stressed or too worried. Ensure your little ones always wash their hands and keep a closer eye on them. If your child is feeling unwell, seek medical attention immediately and ensure a mask is worn at all times.